How to make pom-poms with your own hands
We present to your attention a fairly simple project, the result of which looks great in the interior. In principle, this project does not require special skills. All you need to be able to do is wrap the wool yarn and use scissors.
We will need:
- woolen threads of different colors;
- cardboard or heavy paper;
- scissors or clerical knife;
- tree branch.
1. It is necessary to cut three pairs of cardboard circles of different diameters. To do this, you can use cardboard, heavy paper, or, as in this example, boxes from the flakes. Use the template below (print it on the format A3), a compass, a plate, a bowl or something else that has a round shape and draw on the cardboard:
- two circles with a diameter of 18 cm;
- two circles with a diameter of 14 cm;
- two circles with a diameter of 10, see.
2. Now, in the center of each circle draw another circle with a diameter of about 3-4 cm.
3. Cut out the circles using scissors or a clerical knife.
4. Cut out the central hole in each of the circles.
5. By this point, you should get three pairs of disks of three different rachmers, each of which has holes in the center.
6. Take a pair of identical sized discs and put one on top of the other.
7. Cut a long piece of yarn about 1,5-2 meters long. In the future, after a little practice, you will determine what length of yarn you are better to use.
8. Take one end of the thread and pass it through the central hole. Tip the tip with your thumb (as shown in the picture).
9. Start wrapping the disk. Make an 2-3 turn before fixing the tip between the threads.
10. Continue wrapping the disc. The inner hole must be large enough to draw the yarn with your fingers and should not cause you any inconvenience.
11. At some point you will find that your thread ends. Do not worry! Just add another thread and repeat the steps 8-9.
12. Continue to wind the yarn on the discs. Make two, or even an 3 layer. The more layers of yarn you powder, the fuller and denser your pom-pon looks.
13. Now that you have practiced a little, you can speed up the process. You can use two or more threads to do this.
14. When you have finished wrapping yarn discs, cut a small thread of yarn about 40 in length. You will need it later, but it is better to have it at hand right now.
15. Take your wrapped disk and slip the blade of the knife or the tip of the scissors between the two cardboard discs.
16. Start cutting the yarn along the circumference of the disc. If you have made too many layers, you will have to make some effort to cut the yarn. When you cut - hold the disc firmly in the center, otherwise the discs will start turning.
17. After you cut all the yarn threads, take the thread that you prepared earlier in step 14. Pass this thread between the cardboard discs, wrap several times and tighten them tightly.
18. Tie the knot and tighten. When the knot is tightened, you will see how the pompon yarn is pulled together in the center. Tighten as tight as possible, and tie at the end of the 2 knot above. Trim excess ends.
19. Now you can remove the cardboard discs. Just pull them off.
20. Your pompon is almost finished. All you need to do now is to whip it and give it a spherical shape. If there are long scraps of yarn - cut them. Note that the pompom is firmer - wind more layers of yarn.
21. In principle, at this step you can stop. We from pompoms will make a decorative decoration for the interior. Therefore, continue to wrap and make as many pompoms as you need. In this example, 23 made a pompom of different sizes and colors. Use the colors of your interior, as well as the colors contrasting with the basic color.
22. After you have done all the necessary pom-poms, play around with them a bit and arrange them in the order you would like to hang them. Make sure that you arrange the pom-poms evenly, i.e. next to each other there are no pompoms of the same color, pompoms of the same size, and also pompoms are located at different heights.
23. Now take the thread (white, black, in the color of the interior or pompon) and cut as many threads as the pompons did. The length of the thread should be approximately 1 meter. Wrap the thread around the pompon and tie it to the 2-3 knot.
24. Cut off the tip of the thread.
25. Repeat the same operations (steps 23-24) and tie the strings to all pom-poms. Then, if you want to tie one thread to another with these strings.
26. Wrap the second end of the thread around the stick, adjusting the height of the pompon and tie it to the knot. Cut off the tip of the thread.
27. Do the same operations with the remaining pompoms (steps 23-25). Make sure that the pampons are evenly spaced on the branch.
28. Now your decor of pompoms is ready and you can decorate their wall, fill your home with joy and fun. You may need to use a couple of hooks to fix the stick to the wall or ceiling.