How to apply an image to a tile
Today we would like to talk about transferring images to ceramic tiles. No matter how difficult this process did not seem at first glance, everything is much simpler. The process itself is analogous to the transfer of the image to wood or glass and implies the use of glue for decoupage (with one BUT, it requires glue for decoupage in ceramics). In addition, in this example, we will somewhat complicate the task and make a composite drawing (of several ceramic tiles). So let's get started.
You will need:
- good photo in electronic form;
- computer and printer;
- a few skills in the photo editor (for example Photoshop or Gimp);
- 9 tiles 10x10 see (preferably white);
- A4 format paper (for printer);
- paper in silence (tissue paper);
- double sided tape;
- stationery knife;
- adhesive for decoupage on ceramics (without roasting);
1. Первым делом Вам необходимо выбрать хорошую фотографию для перевода. Далее откройте ее в фото-редакторе (например Photoshop или Gimp).
2. Since in the above project the image is transferred to several tiles forming a square (3x3 tiles), then a square section of the photo with the face was selected. To do this, select the desired area, and then copy it to a new document.
3. In the new document, first change the image, setting its size 30x30, see. Then "play" a little with the color (remove it, get a black and white photo or set the desired hue). In addition, adjust the brightness and contrast of the image, until the desired result is obtained. Plus, use a brush with the necessary color to get rid of unnecessary details in the background (especially if the future image is black and white).
4. Since the photo will be cut into separate segments (one segment per tile), it is advisable at this stage to somewhat simplify your work and outline the lines of the future section. In the example, horizontal and vertical lines are drawn through each 10 see (see the figure below).
5. Then using the selection tool - select each segment of the picture and save it in a separate file. Note: cut precisely along the lines, and only in the new document with the inserted fragment of the photo crop the edges (about 0,5 see on each side). Otherwise, the future image will turn out to be uneven.
6. When all the fragments are ready, compose them, if necessary. This is done in order to save time, paper and double-sided scotch (further you will understand why). In this project on one sheet will be printed on 2 photo.
7. For printing, you need to prepare the paper in a soft tissue (tissue paper). Since it is not inserted into the printer, you will need to stick it with double-sided tape to ordinary sheets of A4 paper. Glue the paper in a place where the image will be. And do not use ordinary scotch it can melt and spoil your printer.
8. Insert the prepared sheets into the printer and print the images on the paper in a soft cloth (tissue paper).
9. Use a stationery knife (and a metal ruler for convenience) and cut out all square printed images.
10. As a result, you should get something like this (see the picture below).
11. Using a brush, apply glue for decoupage on a ceramic to the surface of ceramic tiles. By the way, glue for decoupage on ceramics is 2-x species (with roasting and without). In this example, one is used that does not require firing.
12. Gently place the image in the center of the tile. By the way, if you want a clearer picture - the printed image should be face up. If you want to get a little dull, place the picture down.
13. Above the papyrus paper, apply at least two more layers of glue for decoupage on ceramics. This will protect the image and add durability to it.
14. Allow the glue to dry, resulting in it becoming discolored and you will receive a tile with the necessary fragment. Will only find a place on the wall and collect the entire composition together.
PS As it was already written before, there are two types of glue for decoupage on ceramics (with firing and without roasting). In this example, the glue that is used without firing is used. Surface treated in this way should not be exposed to mechanical influences, water or temperature changes (otherwise the image may crack or even come off). If you want to use such decorative tiles in the bathroom or as a stand for hotter use the adhesive for decoupage on ceramics with firing. Burning can be done in a conventional oven, while maintaining the temperature regime.
Thank you for your help in writing and editing this article: Natalia