How to make a picture of a fabric without sewing and glue
Quite often, various goods are packed with expanded polystyrene, or, more clearly, foam. Its something you will use as a basis. Do you wonder why and how? The fact is that the technique described below for creating paintings from a fabric is slightly different from those that can often be found on the Internet. The main difference is that you will use a lot of pieces of fabric that differ from each other in color and texture. In addition, you do not have to stitch or glue them to each other. If you are ready, let's proceed.
You will need:
- a flat sheet of expanded polystyrene (styrofoam) of the required dimensions (in the example foam is used with dimensions 90 x 30 x 1,5 cm);
- shreds of cloth (the more shreds of different colors - the better);
- stationery knife;
- line (you can use your credit card);
- decorative carnations (if you want a frame);
- thin veneer;
- Glue gun (only in order to strengthen the foam).
1. Decide on the future drawing. Take your flat sheet of polystyrene and draw a frame (from each edge, retreat at least 1 see). And then if you draw well - draw a geometric pattern, if you draw - draw a picture on it. Well, if you are familiar with photoshop - make a sketch from the photo you like, print it in the required sizes and just transfer the image to the foam. By the way, for lines to be more noticeable you can walk on them with a marker.
2. Now that you have a drawn pattern, decide on the colors of your future picture and select the cloth shreds of the corresponding colors.
3. Take a clerical knife and walk through them on all the lines. Pay attention - do not cut through the foam plastic, you need to make cuts with the depth 1 / 2 of the thickness of the foam.
4. And now the most interesting is coloring the picture! Choose a place to start, attach a cloth of the necessary color to it and cut a small piece (the size of the shred should be at least 0,5 cm more than the contours).
5. Attach the cut out scrap to the desired location. Take the ruler and begin to push the edges of the fabric into the lines cut along the contour.
6. When finished with one element - go to the next and repeat the steps 4-5.
7. Well, your picture is almost ready! Now is the time to strengthen the foam itself (in fact this is a fairly fragile material). To do this, you need a thin board of the appropriate size (plywood is quite suitable). Just use a glue gun and glue the back side of the foam to the plank (or veneer).
8. Now you need to make a frame. The frame is made in a similar way, as the picture itself - in the slot are shredded shreds of fabric. Only it is necessary to make some additional slits (both from the front side, and from the ends of the picture).
9. It remains to close the butt and your picture will be ready. To do this, take a strip of fabric and bend the edges, so that they slightly go to each other, and the width of the strip corresponds to the thickness of the picture. Let this strip of fabric (bent edges down) across the butt, sequentially fixing this strip - decorative studs.
10. All! Your sunny and colorful pattern of fabric is ready! You can hang it, give it to friends, relatives, acquaintances or even sell it.
By the way on ebay, such pictures go on 15-20 dollars. And below are a few more works performed on this technique.