How to make an original lamp from a bottle
In recent years, there has been an increasing trend in the use of residues (waste) for the manufacture of original designer objects and ornaments. So we decided to present you a project from this series. We suggest you make your own hands an amazing table lamp from an empty bottle. Such a lamp from a bottle will become a wonderful designer decoration of any interior or a wonderful original gift.
You will need:
- a bottle (from wine or other beverage at your discretion);
- set for the manufacture of a table lamp (or an old and unnecessary lamp);
- Lampshade (with attachment to a light bulb or cartridge);
- wood for decorative base;
- glue PVA (if the base is multi-layered);
- black electrical tape;
- liquid nails (sealant);
- paint on wood (as an option varnish or linseed oil);
- plaque with engraving (optional);
- circular saw (for making the base);
- a drill for glass or tiles;
- drill on wood;
- pliers and clerical knife;
1. First, you need to decide on the design of the base (pedestal for the bottle). In our opinion, this step is one of the most significant, since it determines the uniqueness of your lamp. In addition, if you do not want to bother with a saw or a tree, you can use something else as a pedestal. Fantasize a little.
2. If you decide to abandon the tree at the bottom and come up with something different, then go to the 6 point. If nevertheless decided to follow the instructions of this project, then take the wood and with the saw cut out the necessary shape (square, rectangular, with bevels or other).
3. In case you use thin wood or decide to make several layers, glue them with the help of PVA glue and clamp it into the carpenter's vise. Leave in this position for a day, so that the layers of wood are well pasted.
4. Take the glued workpiece and find the center, and then make a hole for the wire. Think about it and decide how you want to make the wire exit from the bottom (bottom or end). If you decide to pull the wire from the bottom, then from the bottom of the base make a small groove. And if from the butt, which is a little more difficult, then drill another hole from the end of the workpiece to its center, so that both holes meet.
5. Now take the workpiece base and carefully sand it with sandpaper. And then, paint in the desired color or varnish. Set aside the substrate and allow it to dry.
6. Now it's your turn to prepare your bottle. But before - drink wine (or other contents.) And before continuing, make sure that you are sober.
7. Take the drill and the drill bit on the glass (tile). To protect yourself, if in the process of drilling the bottle bursts, wrap it with a rag or a towel. Place the bottle vertically and secure the necessary fixings in such a way that the bottle does not fall. In the bottom, pour a little water and then drill a hole through the center. The diameter of the hole should be such that the cord from the outlet easily enters into it. Try to drill slowly, periodically let the drill cool down.
8. Rinse the bottle well to remove any debris or glass dust. Try to protect the label at the same time. It gives the finished product even more originality.
9. Look at the color of your cord to the outlet. If it is white, it will be very noticeable in a dark bottle. Therefore, take the black insulating tape and wind the wire along its entire length.
10. Now it's time to put everything together. First of all, take the wire with the plug for the socket and thread it through the holes in the base. So that the tip with wires comes out from above. It will be a little problematic to push the wire if you previously decided to make it exit from the bottom of the bottom, but there is a solution. Insert the wire from the end and push it inside until it rests against the wall. Now take a screwdriver (such that it freely passes into the hole) and from the bottom of the base, start slowly to turn the wire up. In parallel with this, push the wire from the end. Sooner or later your efforts will be rewarded and on top of the bottom you will see the tip of the wire. Pull it enough to eventually its length was longer than the length of the bottle.
11. Take the bottle and apply liquid nails (sealant) to the bottom. Then through the hole, thread the wire, so that it comes out of the neck, and firmly press the bottle to the base. Try to make the holes in the bottom and bottom of the bottle coincide and the wire is not clamped. Hold the bottle, pressing it to the base for a while, until the liquid nails (sealant) will not grasp. And then set aside until completely dry for about 24 hours.
12. Take the set to make a table lamp (or disassemble the old one). Alternatively, you can use improvised materials (a hollow tube with a thread and a stop, a washer in the size of the neck and with an inner diameter equal to the diameter of the tube, the lower part of the cartridge, the insulating tape, or the cork).
- If you use a kit or dismantled an old lamp, then simply assemble the cartridge according to the instructions.
- If you decide to use improvised materials, then you need to do the following: take the hollow tube with a thread and a stop and put the washer on the bottom. From the bottom of the washer it is desirable to wear another rubber washer-gasket. Then wrap the tape around the tube, so that it can hardly fit into the neck of the bottle. Push the wire inside this tube, and insert the tube into the neck of the bottle (like a cork) to the washer itself. Top the bottom of the cartridge and fix it with a nut.
- Another option is to drill the cork itself, stuff a hollow tube with thread there, and stuff it all in the neck of the bottle (the cork will most likely need to be cut a little).
13. Your lamp is almost ready. It remains to attach the wires to the cartridge - do it. Take care that the cartridge is not under stress!
14. Put and lock the top of the cartridge.
15. That's it! Wear a lampshade and turn on your desk lamp! By the way, the lamp shade can be dressed as directly on the light bulb, and be fixed in the cartridge.
16. Well, additionally, if you have previously provided a plate with engraving - now is the time to paste it in the right place. For this, a super glue is quite suitable. Now you can display your work for a general demonstration or make an original gift to someone.