How to make a "machine" for cutting glass bottles
Если бутылку разрезать по-середине, то получиться прекрасный стакан (об этом можно почитать в статье How to cut a bottle and make a glass or vase from it). The only difficulty in cutting a bottle is to make an exact cut (otherwise you will have to align the cut line very long and tediously). Therefore, in order not to suffer, we suggest that you collect a small "machine" and in the future cut off the necessary part from the bottle for 5 minutes with the help of this tool.
You will need:
- piece of board (with flat surface and edges);
- grinding paper;
- a piece of PVC pipe (not less than 10 see);
- glass cutter;
- metal corner (L-shape);
- several strong magnets;
- a bit of felt or felt (optional);
- hacksaw for metal;
- Drill with drill bits for metal;
- any metal strap;
- wood screws;
- metal ruler (optional);
- super-glue (optional).
1. Take a piece of board and, if necessary, saw off excess. So, the length of the board should not be less than the height of the bottles. In addition, if there are knots and hinds on the board - sand them (so as not to plant a splinter in the future). By the way for beauty you can cover the board with varnish or paint.
2. Take a piece of PVC pipe and cut it into the 2 part (the parts do not necessarily have to be flat).
3. Use grinding paper and grind the ends of the tubes. Then move away from each edge of the tube by about 1 cm and drill a hole. Note that the holes must be on the same straight line. In addition, you only need to drill one wall (do not drill through).
4. Cut off the handle from the glass cutter so that there is only one blade left (only you need it). Then drill a hole in the 2 blade (with their help you will further attach the blade to the "machine").
5. Then take the metal bar and cut it to the desired length (about 2 / 3 the length of the sawn-off board in step 1).
6. At the edges of the metal strip, make holes for fastening. In addition, so that the self-tapping screws do not stick out, and they are drowned in the bar, make a counterpunch (drill a little bit with a larger drill bit so that the screw head is buried in it).
7. Proceed to assembly. One screw the screws on the wood so that its end is at the same level with the end of the board. The second segment is slightly shifted along the length of the board (as shown in the figure below). In addition, the distance between the tubes should be such that the bottle of wine lies on them and does not touch the board (there was enough room to install the metal bar).
8. Take something smooth (a metal ruler for example) and attach to the second (slightly offset) piece of PVC pipe from the inside (the one that is closer to the first tube). The intersection with the end of the board will be the location of the cutting edge of the glass cutter, so position it properly and screw it. By the way, in order to test the correct attachment of the blade, take a test glass bottle, place it on the PVC pipe guides and start scrolling along the axis while mute pressing it on top. If, as a result, you do not see a distinct trace of the glass cutter on the bottle, or, conversely, find too much glass shavings - reinstall the blade of the glass cutter in the right way.
9. Screw the metal bar to the center, between the two pieces of PVC pipe (as shown in the picture).
10. This step is optional and involves sticking a metal ruler to the bar (for a more accurate measurement of the cut off part). Therefore, if you do not need it - go to the next step. By the way, if the ruler is too long cut it to the desired size and clean the ends with a grinding paper. For gluing the super-glue will fit, the only thing, do not forget to press it a little and hold it so the sticking ruler until the glue grabs.
11. For the slider (latch), use a metal corner (L-shape). Put on it several strong magnets (preferably neodymium ones) and wind it all with felt or felt in the 1 layer. Winding is necessary to ensure that the markings on the metal ruler are not rubbed off by friction. To check, latch the latch to the metal lath of the machine and hold the latch to lift the entire machine. If you do not lift the magnets are not very good and there is a possibility of displacement of the bottle during cutting (it is desirable to replace them with others).
12. That's all! Now you have your own "machine" for cutting bottles. In the addendum below, we once again briefly describe the process of cutting a bottle.
13. Put the bottle on the PVC pipe guides so that the cutting edge of the glass cutter matches the location of the desired cut. Then set (drag) the magnetic retainer to avoid sliding the bottle (and as a result of an inaccurate cut).
14. A little tap on the bottle and start turning the bottle along its axis. Try to keep the pressure steady. In addition, make sure that the neck is pressed against the lock.
15. After making one turn of the bottle, you should get a similar cut line (see the figure below).
16. Now you need to heat the cut line. To do this, you can use a cigarette lighter, a candle flame, or put a bumper in water and pounce it.
17. After you have sufficiently heated the bottle - take the ice and begin to quickly cool the cut line. By the way, as an option, you can put the bottle in cold water. At this point, you should hear a crackle that says the process is going right. It is possible to separate the necessary part from one time, you can not get it, so repeat the procedure with heating and abrupt cooling.
18. After you cut off the desired part from the bottle, sand the ends in the cutting places until a smooth face is obtained. Start sanding better with coarse grinding paper, then smoothly switch to a finer grained paper.