How to grow a candlestick with small crystals
Earlier we already wrote about how to grow salt crystals (you can read about it here). Хотим напомнить, что в том проекте выращивались единичные кристаллы, которые в основном подходят для декорирования интерьера и различных поделок. Сегодня же мы хотим предложить Вам вырастить цельный подсвечник, полностью состоящий из небольших солевых кристаллов. Итак, приступим.
You will need:
- brushes for cleaning smoking pipes;
- a small transparent vase (as the base for the candle, in which the wax will flow);
- a little thread;
- large and deep container (better glass);
- a measuring cup and a stirring stick;
- pencil (pen, or just a long stick).
1. Take your transparent candle vase (into which the wax will drain) and the brushes for cleaning smoking pipes. From individual brushes create the shape of the future candlestick. Use loops, spirals, figures or your shapes as elements of the pattern. Twist them together, by the way to do it quite simply, because the basis of the brushes is a flexible wire.
2. Take care that your vase can fit inside, and the edges would not touch the flame of the candle in the future (although salt crystals do not burn, but safety first of all). Please note that when the crystals are formed on the brush, the diameter of the brushes will slightly increase.
3. Take your big and deep container (if there is no glass can use plastic), boil water and prepare alum. And yet, do not use the container that you use for cooking.
4. Mix alum with hot water in a proportion of approximately 1 to 6 (ie, 1,5 liters of hot water - 250 gram of alum).
5. Mix everything thoroughly until a misty shade is obtained (use a stick and preferably rubber gloves for stirring).
6. With the help of a thread, create a simple adaptation so that your vase from the brushes could be hung in a container (for uniform formation of crystals it must "hang" in the solution).
7. Lower your vase from the brushes into the container with the solution.
8. As a holder, use a pencil or any other stick. Just tie the thread at the correct height.
9. Leave in this state for about a day (although in practice the whole process of crystal formation takes 12 - 16 hours). When you see that the crystals are formed - take out your crystal candlestick from the solution.
10. Drain the solution in the sink, and hang the crystal candlestick in the container (this time empty). Let her hang a little in such a way that all the remains of the solution are covered and the candlestick is a bit dry.
11. If the candlestick dries for a long time, you can gently dry it with paper towels.
12. When you make sure that everything has dried up completely - use scissors and cut off the thread for fastening.
13. Feel free to insert your candle stand and the candle itself into a newly made crystal candlestick.
14. That's it! Light a candle and enjoy the play of light in a wonderful candlestick made of small salt crystals.