How to make a picture from clerical buttons
In today's project We want to tell you about how to create a masterpiece of art from clerical buttons. The most famous artist of this style is the American Eric Dag (Eric Daigh). Despite the limited color gamut (manufacturers offer only a few colors) and the lack of the possibility of mixing such colors - the artist receives strange, interesting and extremely realistic portraits. Try and you! Just start in advance! Although the project is distinguished by its simplicity (even a beginner can handle), but it will require a lot of time from you (from a day to several months). So take care and hold fast.
You will need:
- a graphic editor (in the example, GIMP was used - an analog of a photoshop);
- Fibreboard according to the size of the future picture (cork, cardboard or polystyrene);
- stationery pins (how many and what colors are read below);
- a lot of free time and endurance.
1. First, decide on what you will "draw" and what size. For example, let this be such a portrait (see the figure below). For example, 90 clerical buttons (let's call them pixels) horizontally and 120 vertically (the smaller - the worse the picture quality). The dimensions of the picture as a result will be 72x96 see (diameter of the clerical button 0,8 see, respectively 90x0,8 = 72).
2. Open the photo in any image editor (the example uses GIMP).
3. Choose in the menu "Image" - "Image size".
4. In the opened box in the graphs, width and height enter the corresponding values in pixels (on the right in the window should be set px). Pay attention to the clip to the right of the place where you entered the width and height data, if the clip is linked, then the width and height values will change proportionally to the decrease / increase of one of the parameters.
5. Click the edit button. As a result, you should get something like this.
6. In the menu, choose Image - Mode - Indexed.
7. In the opened window, select "Use custom palette".
8. Click on the palette selection button, and then on the "Open the palette selection dialog" (the button is in the lower right corner of the drop-down list).
9. In the right panel (well, or where you put it there), the dialog for selecting the palette opens. In it, select the "Default" palette, and then click the "Make a copy of this palette" button.
10. You will see the menu for editing the copied palette. Remove all unnecessary colors (select an unnecessary color and press the delete button at the bottom of the panel). Leave only 6 of them: red, blue, green, yellow, black, white.
11. When you finish deleting - name the new palette and save it.
12. After the palette has been saved, it will not appear in the selection window at once. Therefore, close the image conversion window and re-open ("Image" - "Mode" - "Indexed").
13. In the opened window, select "Use custom palette", and in it - the palette that you created earlier. In addition, set the Floyd-Steenberg blur (normal).
14. Click the "Convert" button. As a result, you should get something like this.
15. Well, the sample of the future picture is ready. For convenience, you can enlarge it to the required size ("Image" - "Image Size") and print.
16. Now you need to determine the need for the number of buttons of each color. To do this, open the "Color" - "Info" - "Histogram" menu. The window of the histogram will open on the right.
17. Now in the toolbar, select the following tool: Selecting areas with a complex color cast.
18. Now click on any color. As a result, you need to stand out all the pixels in the image. Now look in the histogram window, there in the graph the number is the number of pixels. Write it down with a note of the appropriate color. Do this for all colors.
19. Now that you have a sample assembly and the number of necessary clerical buttons of each color - proceed with the assembly. For convenience, on the sheet of fiberboard (the required size), apply the markings.
20. Так как большинство канцелярских скрепок идут в наборах (разные цвета перемешаны), то для удобства разделите их по цвету. Кстати, при сборке около 10% канцелярских кнопок ломается и теряется, поэтому приобретайте такие кнопки с небольшим запасом.
21. Proceed to assembly. It will require you to endure and time, depending on the size of the picture or portrait.
22. Well, here you put the last clerical button! The picture is ready! You can order a frame for beauty in the framing workshop, or leave it as it is.
Ну и в продолжении несколько работ от Эрика Дага.