How to make a "safe" on a bookshelf or a book with a secret
Well, since today this topic has gone with secrets and places where these secrets can be stored, then here is another similar project. In fact, this project is a well-forgotten old. I remember myself as a child made something like that in my childhood. And we offer you a hollow book. Small jewelry, money and a lot of other things will be fine there. In addition, such a "safe" does not attract much attention.
You will need:
- clerical (construction) knife or scalpel;
- A ruler (it is better metal, although plastic and wooden will suit);
- Glue (in the example, glue is used for decoupage, but any other liquid glue is also suitable);
- polyethylene (the usual packages are quite appropriate).
1. First, decide on the depth. We would recommend leaving about 8-10 pages from the beginning and the end of the book, but do as you see fit.
2. Wrap the cover with polyethylene. This will prevent the glue from getting on the cover. In principle, you can skip this step, but then in the subsequent stages be more careful.
3. Now use the brush and glue to process the ends of the book. Do not feel sorry for the glue, because the better the impregnated ends, the stronger will be your secret "box". But do not overdo it too, so know the measure.
4. When finished processing - put your book under the press and let the glue dry (about 12 hours). What good is the glue for decoupage, duck is that when it dries it becomes colorless. Therefore, the processed ends of the book will practically not be distinguished from the unprocessed ones.
5. Once the glue has dried, remove the polyethylene and open the book on the page with which you want to start. Then take a pencil and ruler and draw a rectangle of the necessary sizes. By the way, it is not recommended to draw a line closer than in 2, see from the edge of the page.
6. Now use the ruler and the clerical (construction) knife. Attach the ruler to the line and make cuts from one edge of the line to the other. Do not try to cut many pages, it will be normal 4-5 pages at a time. Then remove the cut out part with your hands.
7. After you have cut out enough pages to provide the blade support, you can put the ruler back and continue cutting without it. The process of cutting is laborious enough, so let's take a break from time to time. And when you get to the end - go to the next step.
8. This step is optional, but We recommend that you do it all the same. At this stage it is necessary to process the inside of the book with glue (for decoupage or others). This will give even more rigidity to the walls of the "box". Do not forget to let the glue dry.
9. Well, here's your secret book-box ready! Of course, you can also decorate the interior with a felt (just glue it), but it is not necessary. You can put your jewelry there, stash and tidy up on a bookshelf, where few will find your "safe".