How to make a leather folder with your own hands
Already for a long period of time, leather products are at the peak of their popularity. Such things are elegant and aesthetic, and also practical and durable. In addition, everyone can choose the kind of skin to your liking (ostrich skin, stingray, crocodile, snake and other). The more exotic it is, the more valued. Today we want to offer you a simple project for making a leather folder, which will suit even those who have never encountered the manufacture of leather products.
You will need:
- a piece of leather of the necessary size;
- suede or leather lace (for the folder to be closed);
- kiynka (wooden mallet);
- aerosol dispenser with water;
- piercer for the skin (or awl);
- hole puncher;
- A needle and a braided string for sewing on a skin (a thread should be waxed);
- pliers (to drag a needle it was easier);
- tool for sampling the groove under the seam;
- stationery knife (scalpel);
1. Take your piece of leather and cut it to size with scissors. In this example, the dimensions are 23 x 40 cm.
2. Then spray the skin with water to make it more flexible. After that, add about a 1 / 3 piece of leather (face up) and put something heavy in the folding place to form a fold. Wait until the skin has dried and proceed to the next step.
3. Now sprinkle the edges of the skin with water (do this repeatedly so that the edges become softer).
4. Take the ruler and attach it to the place of the future seam.
5. On the ruler with a special tool make a groove (in principle, you can do without it, but with a groove the finished product looks more interesting). Repeat this operation with the opposite edge of the skin, and make similar grooves on the reverse side. By the way, you do not have to buy a special tool, you can do with improvised tools, but keep in mind that the quality of the groove itself will suffer from this.
6. Take a piercer for the skin (or awl) and a kiink (wooden hammer). With these tools, pierce (or puncture) holes in the grooves for future joints. Do not try to pierce the 2 layer of skin at once - it can be difficult, because the skin can be very stiff. By the way, if you use an awl, then try to make holes approximately at equal distances from each other, otherwise you will get uneven stitches in the future.
7. Take a needle and a wicker thread to sew on the skin. Stitch the two halves from the bottom, and make the seam like a snake, i.e. pass a needle and thread into the hole, then into the next hole on the side where the needle came out. Repeat this operation until you reach the last hole punctured previously. This hole will be rotary, i.e. on it you turn around and go sew the same way, but in the opposite direction. As a result, both ends of the thread (the beginning and the end) will be at the bottom of your folder. By the way, you can use other sewing techniques if you want.
8. Make a similar seam on the other side. In the end (if you make stitches as described in the project), you get something similar to the photo below.
9. Well, the folder is almost ready, it remains to form the closing part. To do this, soak the skin and similarly to the 1 step, form a fold. Do not forget to put something heavy on top and wait until the skin dries.
10. Determine the shape of the closing part and use scissors to remove excess skin.
11. Take a punch hole and from the bottom on the center of the closing part make a hole.
12. Pass a suede or leather cord through this hole. From the back of the closing part on the leather cord, tie a tight knot. Make sure that the assembly does not pass through the hole.
That's it! Your leather folder is ready. Put the documents (or something else) in it, close and wrap a leather cord around it to fix the lid. And you can also decorate (in the submitted project on the edge of the closing part a small groove is made).