How to make a secret box on a bookshelf
If you need something to hide from prying eyes, so much so that it is unlikely to be found, then the bookshelf is quite a suitable place. Of course, you can make a hollow book and put your jewelry there, but what if it does not fit there? You need to make a secret box that looks like books worthwhile hardly, but in fact they are not.
You will need:
- cardboard box;
- unnecessary books (thicker and in an amount sufficient to cover one of the walls of the box);
- adhesive (moment, super-glue or other);
- saw (well, or cross-stitch);
- clerical (construction) knife;
- Painting tape;
- grinding paper (optional).
1. First, prepare the box (cut off the covers and shorten to the required height). Make sure that the books cover the height of the box in height.
2. Take the paint tape and wrap the books as tightly as possible and closer to the binding (as shown in the picture).
3. Now on each book measure approximately 5 cm from the binding (or set the saw blade to the required distance.
4. Then use a manual or circular saw and on each book, make a cut parallel to the binding. Do not remove the paint tape.
5. Having done the steps of 3-4, you should get something like this.
6. Take the glue and apply it to the cut end of the book. Allow the glue to dry, and then remove the paint tape. This step will give rigidity to the rest of the pages.
7. Now take your box. If the box is with a glossy finish, then use sandpaper and grind the surface a little. Sanding will give small grooves, which in turn will ensure the best gluing in the future.
8. Take glue (better super-glue) and apply it to the end of the box (in the form of strips or zigzags). Then glue the first end of the book, aligning it with the edge of the box (it's okay if the end of the book slightly protrudes).
9. Before you glue the second end, apply a little glue on the side of the first end (do not forget to also apply glue and on the box). Then glue the second end (gluing it to the first).
10. Continue to stick the ends of the books to the binding and to each other until you reach the end of the box. Then set aside and let the glue dry and stand up properly.
11. Ну а теперь, выберите место для вашего секретного хранилища и пользуйтесь им. Поставьте такой ящичек между других книг и, наверное мало кто догадается, что там находиться что-то ценное.