How to make a vintage mini hat for a holiday
Currently, women's weaknesses are shoes and handbags. But it was not always so. Most recently (approximately until the 70-ies of the last century), women went crazy with hats. What they did not do, sometimes even reached the point of absurdity, and the hat looked like something unimaginable. Approximately in the middle of the last century on the stage came out a kind of mini hats. All of them were mainly made of light and soft material, with an obligatory means of fixation to the hair (hair clips, clamps, combs). Today We want to offer you to make such a mini hat with your own hands, and although now they are not so fashionable, but for a holiday the most it. So let's get started.
You will need:
- cloth for the cap;
- a small piece of felt (in the color of the fabric);
- plastic cup (0,3 l. or 0,5 l., depending on the size of the cap);
- Compasses (or a plate by the diameter of the fields for the cap);
- cardboard (packaging from fast breakfasts is quite suitable);
- a little corrugated cardboard (from the packaging of washing machines, refrigerators and other);
- elastic band (or elastic band);
- stationery knife;
- glue gun and glue to it;
- various ornaments (feathers, ribbons, precious stones, etc.).
1. Decide on the size of the fields on your hat. Then take a pair of compasses (or a suitable plate) and draw a circle on the corrugated cardboard.
2. Use the scissors and cut out this circle. If the edges are a little uneven - use sandpaper and a little clean them. In the center of the circle, cut another smaller one (this hole will be needed in the future to attach the cap).
3. Take a small piece of felt and cut out of it a circle in size slightly smaller than your "donut". In the center of the resulting circle, also cut out the hole corresponding to the diameter of the hole of the carton blank.
4. Take the elastic band and cut the 2 pieces so long that they overlap the inner hole. Then use glue and properly glue them as shown in the picture. With the help of these elastic bands you will in the future attach the cap to the barrette or rim.
5. Take your workpiece and the main material for the cap (in our case it is a leatherette). Cut out from this material a circle in size slightly larger than the diameter of your workpiece. The edges do not have to be even.
6. Glue the fabric on the circumference of the workpiece from the side with which the rubber bands for fixing were glued. Stick it just around the circumference, without touching the inner hole, otherwise the rubber bands for fastening are also glued.
7. Turn the workpiece over and fold the edges gently around the circumference. Make sure that the edges repeat the shape of the circle, where you need to tighten and tighten the fabric.
8. Top glued previously cut (in step 3) felt donut. He will close the bare cardboard. Additionally, you can crush it with something for a few minutes so that it sticks better.
9. Now you need to make the hat itself. To do this, take a plastic cup of the required size and a piece of corrugated cardboard. Turn the cup over and place it on the cardboard so that the bottom is on top. Then use a pencil and circle the outlines. Then just cut out the resulting circle.
10. Take this circle, your cloth for the cap and glue the cloth to it. First, glue the fabric to the plane of the circle, and then bend the edges and glue them on the back. Make sure that the circumference of the fabric is flat. You can press it down so that the fabric sticks better.
11. Take your plastic cup again and draw a straight vertical line with the marker.
12. Take a sheet of the A4 format and attach a glass to its edge so that the markup line made in the previous step coincides with the edge of the sheet of paper (as shown in the picture).
13. Tightly wrap the cup with paper. You can use an adhesive tape to fix it. Look where the marking line is on the glass. Do the same on paper in the same place.
14. Use a stationery knife (or scissors) and cut off excess paper from above and below the cup.
15. Unfold the paper and cut along the marking lines. As a result, you should get something like this (as shown in the picture).
16. Take your cloth and attach to it the pattern made in the previous steps. Apply the necessary marking lines to the fabric, by repeating the pattern lines with an indentation of approximately 1 cm (as shown in the figure).
17. Cut out the shape from the fabric, following the marking lines. Lateral edges - bend and glue them. Thus, you will create a smooth and beautiful line of the future seam of the cap.
18. Take your plastic cup and glue your tissue clip to it. Glue start from the marking line and then along the circumference. Make sure that the fabric is stuck in all places evenly.
19. The edges of the fabric are bent inside the cup and also glued (this applies to the bottom of the cup).
20. Well, all the components are ready. Now we need to put everything together. Take the previously made fields for the cap (with the rubber bands down) and the cylinder (from the plastic cup). Glue them to each other, and, the glass should be glued downwards. And make sure that the cylinder is located exactly in the center of the fields for the cap.
21. Then along the contour of the circle at the top of the cylinder, apply an even layer of glue and attach a circle made in step 10. Try to squeeze a little on the edges, and yet, while the glue does not dry out - remove any excess.
22. Well, actually the hat is almost ready.
23. It remains to decorate it a little and give it originality. There is already only your flight of fantasy. Use beads, ribbons, feathers or other decorative elements. For example, in this example only a ribbon was used.
24. With the help of elastic bands, attach the hat to the barrette, clamp or scallop and wear it with pleasure.